Saturday 19 September 2015

In-between fieldwork: Parrots

If you know me, you are probably aware that I'm a huge parrot geek. As you can imagine I'm pretty excited to be in Australia where wild parrots roam free!

There are several species occurring locally here that I can see every single day, pretty much whenever I'm outside. It puts a smile on my face :]

It also means that I can not only have a look at them, but I can actually observe their behaviour and learn something about them. Some things I'm seeing are quite different from what I've seen in captivity before. It's great to be able to see them interact with each other, as well as with other species.

Those are the parrots I see most of the time:

Galah (Eolophus roseicapilla)
Crimson rosella (Platycercus elegans)
Gang gang cockatoo (Callocephalon fimbriatum)
Sulphur-crested cockatoo (Cacatua galerita)
Australian king parrot (Alisterus scapularis)

Ever so slightly less often, lets say about every other day or so, I see those guys too:

Eastern rosella (Platycercus eximius)

No comments:

Post a Comment